Not that I have (m)any readers yet, BUT, I do have a TON of kids games coming up. I'll try to post a new one every day, starting today (Thursday).
We're almost completely done filming for a while. We have a couple more to do, and then it's posting time. I'm going to try to be disciplined and only do one a day, because that is actually better for developing the blog's traffic.
And honestly, it'll be easier on me, since I do have to do some editing on each one, and I want to give a personalized intro for each one.
Summer camp's been a very interesting experience. Lots of lessons on teaching kids how to not be whiny, cry babies, how to suck up getting hurt without being all drama-queeny about it. Some of these kids had some major entitlement issues that I sort of had to, well, kill. Sometimes I used strategies like, if you say you want something, I'm gonna give you the exact opposite. When you stop making a big deal about it, then you'll probably get it.
And sometimes (regarding the entitlement issue), I'd be as blunt as saying, I really don't care, because it is not a big deal.
This, I believe, was excellent training and preparation for my own son. I have a feeling he's gonna need a lot of these lessons as well!
And that's what has been the most humanizing about all of this - I treat these kids as though they were my own. I want them to succeed. I want them to be stronger mentally, emotionally, and physically so that they will have valuable tools to navigate through this world.
And some of that doesn't come without some tough love. Fortunately, I'm a goofball, so they know I can be silly as well as strict. Everytime a boundary is pushed, I push it back down into their throats so far that I can feel their stomach from the inside. And then I make a joke about pee pee, and all is good.
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment